🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

How many days ahead can butternut squash be peeled and cubed before cooking? I'm in a real squeeze for time, and must do all of my advance prep/advance cooking in the early mornings and evenings, and have as many dishes as possible pre-made, by 8:20 PM on Wednesday (for T-Day). Thanks so much.

asked almost 4 years ago
Img__631-1_(1)

I think twenty four hours and you will be fine. Just make sure they are in an air tight container. They will probably roast better and brown up nicely if you in fact roasting them.

Gator_cake

I think you could do it several days in advance w/o any trouble.

Cakecake

I've cubed butternut squash up to 24 hours in advance and roasted it successfully. (and AntoniaJames, not sure what you're having for your Thanksgiving meal, but the more questions I read about your upcoming menu, the more it sounds like your meal is going to be a major home run! Good luck!) :)

i find the best way to store prepared vegetables is to vacume pac them and cook them in the bags in simmering water it retains all flavour and nutreaints and keeps well up to a week

I think you could go even longer than 24 hrs provided you keep the cut-up squash in an airtight bag or container in the fridge (I am assuming you're working in a scrupulously clean kitchen, of course). My local farmstand sells peeled, cut-up squash in bags - I asked them when they cut them them up and it was usually 1-3 days before. (I'm a vendor too so I think they were telling me the truth - bet they tell their customers it was cut that day).

2-3 days is fine. Just keep it in a ziploc.

The potatoes, turnips and carrots will keep just fine in water for 18+ hrs, in a cool space. My fridge has no room on T-day, I've never tried b-nut squash but..sounds like it would work! Anyone saved them in H2O? .

to gourmetmama's ? about storing the squash in water - I wouldn't bother. You put potatoes in water so they won't discolor with air contact. Butternut doesn't oxidize like that, so I'd save the space and just chuck it into a ziploc. (IMHO same with the carrots and turnips too - I wouldn't bother with water storage)

you'll easily get a few days out of it. Butternut is a major staple in South Africa and sold peeled and cubed at the supermarkets in tubs.