What are some good recipe ideas to use my canned tomatoes ?

asked by kstrong almost 2 years ago

Greek stuffed Zucchini...with the Zucchini in lemon juice, stuffed with a Greek seasoned ground meat mix (or rice).
Baked with lemon juice on the bottom of the pan, and covered with Greek tomato sauce and bread crumbs. (Greek tomato sauce will have additions of allspice, garlic, oregano and cinnamon).

Sam, care to share approximate proportions for the ingredients in a Greek tomato sauce? You mentioned this sauce in another post recently and I'd like to try this sometime but am not sure what it's supposed to taste like so I don't want to just go by taste.

I tend to just eyeball it..with about 1/2 tsp of allspice that has been crushed in a mortar and pestle, a couple of pinches of cinnamon, a clove of garlic, a tsp of oregano..and simmer with a 14oz can of good tomatoes. And a tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley to finish. Or tsp of dried simmered in the sauce if you don't have fresh on hand.

This is great on flat "pole green beans". And stuffed squashes and peppers.
Sometimes I'll add some lemon zest to the sauce while it's simmering. Very approximate there I know..I've never quantified it..but that should be a good start for you I hope.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

soup, pasta sauce ...

That gives me enough of an idea -- thanks Sam!

My favorite thing to do with canned tomatoes is saute some julienne red pepper and white onion with a few cloves of crushed garlic, add balsamic and white wine, reduce by half, add tomato and let simmer for about 30 mins then add some basil chiffonade at the end. I use this for many things but my favorite is a basic cioppino. Some sautéed clams, scallops and shrimp with the addition of some more white wine really makes for a great meal.

Birthday_2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

http://food52.com/recipes...
Hands down the fanciest and most delicious canned tomato dish I have ever eaten.
Also, a soup cookbook, An Exaltation of Soups, gives the only recipe I have ever seen for gazpacho with canned tomatoes. I was dubious, but it's so expensive and so much work to peel canned tomatoes. It was pretty good... not quite the same but passed muster with my hungry residents and even my fussy daughter.