🔎

How do you cook spaghetti squash

Wholefoods_user_icon
a Whole Foods Market Customer added over 1 year ago

Whole: pierce with a knife six or 8 times around the whole thing. Bake at 375 for an hour, or microwave 12 minutes then let stand for 5, or boil for 30-40 minutes. Cut in half horizontally (around the "equator" not lengthwise through the poles) and remove the seeds and pulp. Scrape the flesh out with a fork.

Or cut in half around the equator raw (with a hacksaw or cleaver) and scrape out the seeds and pulp. Bake 30-40 min at 375, microwave 6-8 min and let stand for 5, or boil 20 minutes.

lloreen added over 1 year ago

I cut it in half, scrape out the seeds, rub olive oil on the cut side and bake it, cut side down until it is soft and can be easily pierced by a butter knife. Then use a fork to scrape out the insides so it looks like noodles, mix in a pat of butter, a pinch of salt, and some grated parmesan.

Junechamp

I do the same as lloreen. Often I will sauce it just as I would spaghetti.

Garlic Fiend added over 1 year ago

I cut it in half length-wise and roast it in the oven, cut-side down until soft. Scrape out the strands. Mix with some flour, eggs, and seasonings. I usually do onions/chives/green onions, some parmesan/romano, parsley, and a dash of cayenne. Make some spaghetti squash pan cakes!

Nicole Swenson added over 1 year ago

I don't find much of a difference in taste if the squash is baked or microwaved. Since I've got two tiny ones I opt for speed and follow the microwave method. I'll finish it off by sautéing with olive oil, garlic, Parmesan, asiago and Romano cheeses as a side dish. I turn it into a meal by throwing bolognese on top. Good lowcarb option :)

Dsc_0122.nef-1
Panfusine added over 1 year ago

Thanks for posting this question, Have the scraped out innards of a squash I roasted & scraped out, sitting in the fridge waiting to be finished off!

P1291120
SeaJambon added over 1 year ago

And WFC's comment about "use a hacksaw" is right on. Trying to cut one in half last night -- those buggers are REALLY tough!! Had to call in the calvary to finish the job... Geez. It isn't often that a piece of food is tougher than I am. Once cut and roasted in oven, it was tender as can be...

jsdunbar added over 1 year ago

My son-in-law suggested for camping (or any no dishes occasion), to put spaghetti sauce directly into each half & serve it that way. Sounds fun to me!

Sam1148 added over 1 year ago

They are tough..and hard to cut...

I really mess up last year and did the "cut it put scrape it, oil it, put on foil' Which is normally good.

Until you over cook it....and it turned into a mess and we tried to eat it....overcooked a bit burnt..it may be a year or more until I eat that again even if it's cooked correctly..it lingers in the mind. Don't do that if anything go shy cooking..over cooked it's ruined for you for forever....I foam up just thinking about it now. Arrrrrgh.

I think I'll microwave it or steam it if try it again. (I used to make it a few times a year baked in the oven..but once iI burned it...it's dead to me now from smell memory).