🔎

Ways to make water boil faster?

I love to steam broccoli and other veggies but I hate waiting for my water to boil. How can I speed up the process in a way that won't affect the flavor?

Nili added over 1 year ago

Keep the pot lid on. Use less water. Use higher flame. Use a thinner stainless steel pot (these are generally bad for cooking but they transfer heat really fast).

or...

Use an electric kettle, or microwave (be careful) to boil the water and then pour it into your heated steaming pot.

Voted the Best Answer!

I can vouch for the electric kettle method - I use it any time I need hot or boiling water fast(er).

Food52
Benny added over 1 year ago

Same here. My electric kettle boils water much faster than trying to bring a big pot of water up on the stove alone. When I need a large vat of water for pasta, I heat half the water on the stove,while I start the other half in my electric kettle. everything is boiling in much shorter amount of time.

Sam1148 added over 1 year ago

For broccoli. I use the microwave* with just a rinse of water and cover with plastic wrap and nuke for 1 min--so there's like 1 tsp of water in the bowl. (I like lightly cooked broccoli and not very soft).
A touch of olive oil, or butter and salt flavors it--I'll serve with a wasabi mayo. Or just the butter and salt.

* the microwave method can degrade vitamins if you go very long to make soft broccoli because the heat gets higher than 'steamed' if left longer than 1 min.

jsdunbar added over 1 year ago

In addition to the above, 1) use a frying pan or other pan with a wide bottom to expose a bigger surface to heat; 2) if you use salt, don't add it until the water is boiling because salt raises the temperature at which water boils

ATG117 added over 1 year ago

agree with the lid and larger pot with more surface area. I have also heard that boiling warm water takes longer than boiling cold water. I know this seems counter intuitive and I don't recall where I heard it, but I think it was from a trust source. And high school chem is no longer in my memoir bank

Sam1148 added over 1 year ago

I think you might be talking about freezing hot water, takes quicker than freezing cool water. Yes and No...what happens in the freezer with hot water is that it quickly 'sublimates' (evaporation cooling)..which brings the temp down to same as 'cool' water...and it freezes faster because quite a bit of the water is gassed away. Giving a lower quantity of water to freeze for a cube; so it's not a fair fight. This would make a good science project for a kid...freezing hot water in trays..and logging the time, and then re-melt the resulted frozen cubes and weigh or measure the liquid---yet another reason to have a good kitchen scale (g). (I do seem to remember something about boiling tho that I think about it...which probably has to do with old 'hot water from the water heater' has more minerals and lime and is harder than the cold water tap).