THE FOOD52 COMMUNITY IS NOW 1 MILLION STRONG! READ MORE »

little tiny ants

I've recently noticed little tiny ants in my kitchen. I am super duper clean, anal even, and I'm thinking this may be food related as I've found them by food. Any ideas of why I'm having this problem and what I can do to stop it asap.

asked by ATG117 over 3 years ago
0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Depends on what type of ant they are...some ants like sugar. Others like fats--even soap and soap scum in the bathroom.

All ants like water...and with drought conditions. They'll go inside to find water..so a water splash or ice cube under the kick-plate could attract them..and with cooler weather, some just like a warm space.

You can use commercial sprays (which work best)..or more 'green' solutions like borax powders, Diatomaceous Earth.
Find and follow the trails and use a bleach solution to clean that trail area; ants leave a chemical signature for other ants to follow saying "hey, water/fat/sugar here...follow me".

51d6debe 8184 4f26 9614 c25e2aa571c3  p3200173

The good thing about ants is that they carry out there own dead...until they get killed by the tiny spiders that lurk in the corners of my bathroom. But yes, the little ones seem to want to go all Jonestown underneath the soap bottle next to the sink.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

What's really fun is when they find their way into your freezer. Where they freeze. By the million. Then, as you're vacuuming them up, they come back to life. Imagine that scene for a minute.

I've had success with two products recently. There's a spray based on oil of lemongrass that I purchased thinking it would be okay to use in the kitchen. Way, way too strong an odor. Worked in the garage however. What did work was Raid's new ant gel. One drop as close to their entrance as possible and instantly no more ants. I've never seen anything work so well before. It's a bait they take back to their nest and, apparently, no more nest. But as Sam says, different ants may be after different things so…

At least their tiny ants and not THEM. just in time for Halloween.

0014dc34 6221 43b1 af6a 55ecf11e2734  them

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

My home was over run with ants in the Spring, I think it was because we had an extremely warm winter last year. They were everywhere, in my parlor, drawers, countertops, freezer cupboards. They were tiny ants just like you said. I had a eco friendly exterminator come and use some sort of non toxic gel which really didn't do much then I tried the gel that Chef Ono described and it worked like a charm. I put it where I thought they were coming in, away from pets and food etc... like magic they all disappeared. I am hoping for a normal winter this year so that there is not a repeat of last year.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

If you can leave the ants alone, ant traps will work. The ants take the food (poison) to the queen, subsequently killing the whole nest. But you have to let them live for a few days to allow it to work.

6f611b78 35b4 4186 89ad c38b035b32f3  08270410avatar messbrasil

Do you have plants around your kitchen?They may be coming from the vases...If you see a line forming,follow the leader to find out where their home inside your home is,Then spray them with your regular spray.There's no need for any specific poison.Are you moving in or out,by any chance?Cause in Brazil,there's this superstitious thought that those tiny red ants mean you're going to move soon.Maybe cause you can't put up sharing your house with ants.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I have good luck with Frontline spray - about once a year the ants find the cat food bowls in the laundry. I lay down a line of the Frontline, and the ants take the fipronil back to the nest. W/in a day I quit seeing them.