🔎

• 5

• 626

A question about a recipe: Cream Baked Endive with Bacon and Pecans

I have a question about the ingredient "flour" on the recipe "Cream Baked Endive with Bacon and Pecans" from savorthis. This recipe looks amazing but I'm living gluten free these days - what would you recommend as a sub for the flour?

Food52_09-25-12-7040
Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

You could use a gluten free flour mix like Bob's Red Mill or try corn starch

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm
beyondcelery added over 1 year ago

It looks like the recipe is using the flour to make a basic roux, so I'd use sweet rice flour in place of the regular all-purpose flour. Sweet rice flour is gluten-free and you can usually find it in any store that carries Bob's Red Mill brand. There's also a Blue Star (mochiko) brand that I often find in Asian groceries. I like sweet rice flour for this use because it keeps a very smooth texture and doesn't gel the way cornstarch will. The end appearance and flavor is always just like regular flour. I'd use the exact 2 Tbls just like in the recipe. Good luck!

savorthis added over 1 year ago

Yes the flour is just used to thicken the sauce. If you make it with any of these suggestions, I'd love to hear what you did and how it turned out!

Dsc00426
vvvanessa added over 1 year ago

I second beyondcelery's suggestion. Sweet rice flour is my favorite non-wheat flour to use for a roux for all the reasons she says.

CarlaCooks added over 1 year ago

I often use potato flour to thicken sauces when my GF friend visits (she is also allergic to corn, so corn starch is out). It works like a charm.