What is your favorite cookbook?

I’m looking for suggestions for a cookbook to cook from this winter for fun. What is your favorite cookbook?

asked by gravy lessons almost 2 years ago
Monita_photo

A Year of Pies by Ashley English
Martha Stewart's Dinner at Home
Cook This Now by Melissa Clark

Me
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

That's such a tough one! I'm still working on memorizing Ratio, by Michael Ruhlman, so I can just play and experiment at will in the kitchen.

In Season by Sarah Raven
The Flavor Bible by Karen Page and Andrew Dornenburg
Hunt, Gather, Cook by Hank Shaw
The Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Mollie Katzen

Maya_portrait_with_me

Thank you so much for these wonderful suggestions! I can't wait to get started.

I think Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen is a fantastic cookbook. He of course gives recipes, but with every dish type and/or recipe he gives cultural/historical background, technical information, and tips and suggestions for variation/improvisational which can not only allow the home cook to tailor the dish to his or her tastes, but also allow the American cook to adapt the recipe according to what ingredients may or may not be available in their local stores. Comprehensive, brilliant, and inspiring!

Bigpan

I've bought and used over a thousand cook books. I've given most away and kept a few sentimental signed ones, or ones with great photos.
So, today my favorite cookbook is "Google" !

The_cook

The most recent cookbook I have bought is Marco Canora's Salt to Taste. He is the owner / chef at a Manhattan restaurant Hearth. His book comes hightly recommended by me.

Right now..."The Internet" is my favorite 'cookbook'.

Image

Thought you'd find this discussion interesting: http://www.food52.com/blog...

Umph...that's a hard one, indeed! I LOVE The Essestial New York Times Cookbook by Food52's very own Amanda Hesser! It's a magnificent mix of culinary history, culinary facts and tips, ok'd and new, professional chef and home cook. I literally have read it for hours on end- fascinating! Ina Garten is great for attractive, approachable, party food!

Sorry- spell check! I meant to say 'old and new' recipes....

Maya_portrait_with_me

Thank you everyone! I'm so grateful for this community of fine cooks. Now I have a list to work from for the next couple of years, at least.

Justsomecook

Joe Beef
I'm Just Here For the Food
Au Pied de Cochon
Made in Italy

Man, there are really too many to count. This is what popped right of the top of my head.

Go to a thrift store...look at their books. Find old homespun self published booked from garden clubs etc. You'll find some real gems there. Often with handwritten notes in the margins.

Michael Ruhlman plays Boswell to Thomas Keller's Johnson in "Bouchon" and "Ad Hoc at Home"

Judy Rodgers "The Zuni Cafe" is one that working cooks refer to for its clarity and sheer brilliance.

The most important chefs in America right now are all Korean American; David Chang "Momofuku". This guy will make you nuts but it's genius.

Sam is right about the old stuff; not just thrift stores but used bookstores and also estate sales.

I didn't care that much for "Ad Hoc at Home" I checked out at a library..and did the chicken which I've heard people rave about..and few other things (the rainbow chard ect)..and frankly;. The Church ladies around here make better fried chicken. (G) at covered dish dinners. And I STILL can't make decent 'church lady' biscuits, I guess I need quite a few more years on me to duplicate those. Less science and more 'feel'.

Moi_1

"The slow Mediterranean kitchen" by Paula Wolfert. And, although they are not considered cookbooks, I love "The man who ate everything" and "It must have been something I ate" by Jeffrey Steingarten.

P1291120

Can't believe no one has mentioned Julia Child and "The Way to Cook"...

That's actually my fav hard copy book...well used and worn.

P1291120

Best all-purpose: How to Cook Everything, Bittman. Best regional cookbooks: Real Thai by Nancie McDermott, French Farmhouse Cookbook by Susan Herrmann Loomis, A Cook's Journey to Japan Sarah Marx Feldner.

Birthday_2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

luv jane grigson Good Things, Diana Kennedy, Nothing Fancy, Elizabeth David, Spices, Salt and Aromatics in the English Kitchen

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

My go-to favorite fall/winter cookbook is hands down is The Ski House Cookbook!
http://www.amazon.com/dp...

The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcela Hazan
Roast Chicken and Other Stories by Simon Hopkinson
Simple French Food by Richard Olney