🔎

• 2

• 368

How to make brown sugar?

I'd like to make my own brown sugar instead of buying it in addition to the molasses and granulated sugar that I always have on hand (not for a recipe, just for the pantry). What's the right ratio of molasses to white sugar and what's the best way to thoroughly combine the two? Can I use raw, unbleached sugar in place of white? Thanks!

Wholefoods_user_icon
Wholefoods_user_icon

Maddy is the senior editor of Whole Foods Market Cooking.

To make light brown sugar, use 1 tbsp molasses for every 1 cup granulated sugar; for dark brown sugar, use 2 tbsp. Mix the two components with a fork or whisk for a few minutes until completely combined (you'll see clumps at first, but they'll disappear). Raw cane sugar is fine as long as you don't mind the slightly stronger taste it will impart.

Marian is an editor at Food52.

A great answer from Smitten Kitchen:
To make one cup of light brown sugar, combine 1 cup granulated sugar with 1 1/2 tablespoons molasses; to make one cup of dark brown sugar, combine 1 cup granulated sugar with 1/4 cup molasses

You can use a food processor to combine everything thoroughly -- or if you don't have one, a mortar and pestle and/or a lot of elbow grease should do the trick

And....as far as I know, using raw sugar instead of white would just change the flavor slightly (a little more complex, nuttier), but everything should still work!