What are you cooking up for Hurricane Sandy?

For those of you on the northeastern seaboard of the United States, what goodies are you cooking up to prepare for the coming storm?

Michael is an engineer at Food52

asked over 1 year ago
Image

I'm testing one of the turkey recipes.

Monita_photo

Making a baked ziti

P1291120

Wasn't there a thread on this one of the last hurricane seasons? There was another big power outage threat... Tried searching "hurricane" in the hotline and came up with a bunch of things, but not a really comprehensive thread that I have in the back of my mind...

Dsc_0035

Whipping up another batch of applesauce (in the oven now) after taking out Teddie's Apple Cake (from the Essential NY Times Cookbook). Like many other at this time of year, we have a LOT of apples. Also made sure to stock up on bourbon and beer for the coming days!

08270410avatar_messbrasil

I was thinking of having some "rabanadas"(french toast)and maple syrup for dinner...but again I'm all the way down in Brazil where we're so blessed : no hurricanes,no tornados,no volcanos,no earthquakes!Nothing is perfect -- but in this matter,Brazil gets pretty close.Anyway,I wish all of you guys the best of luck,and that you may all be safe and sound during the storm and after.

Marian Bull

Marian is Food52's Associate Editor.

chocolate cake, soup, and merrill's irish soda bread.

Lnd_jen

My husband is making this chicken and kale casserole for tonight's dinner: http://www.seriouseats... with leftovers from Friday's roast bird. We've also had a big pot of chicken stock and a second pot of white beans going all day long. The beans will be great in hot or cold preparations, in case we lose power (thankfully, we have a gas stove). And we have a supply of duck confit legs, cured meats, cheeses, tinned salmon, tuna, sardines, and peppered anchovies, plus good bread and crackers. Plus wine. Lots of wine :) Be safe, friends!

Birthday_2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

You know how to do a hurricane, lastnightsdinner! Hats off...

Dsc00859_2

I will be making a savory lablabi-type chickpea stew from Gill Marks' dairy cookbook. Seasoned with lots of garlic, onions, pounded cumin seed, lemon juice and crumbled garlic-toasted French bread as a base. Supposed to add kale or spinach, but I don't have any. It will still be yummy.

Classes cancelled for two days, and I might have my parents as refugees from the suburbs if they lose power for too long. Assuming I don't lose mine, it's a great time for projects! I'm thinking from-scratch pizza, hummus, possibly something else Middle Eastern and eggplant-y. I remember spending an entire snowstorm as a teenager making eclairs and cream puffs from scratch because I had nothing else to do.

I take power-outages as a opportunity to clean out the freezer of stuff that should have tossed ages ago.
We often have power outages in the spring and storm season and occasional ice storms..and two of the best purchases I've made are a little table top single burner gas cook plate. (from an oriental market)..cheep about 25 dollars. The canisters are about 7 bucks for 3 in spray can form factor. Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Max...

The other is a "Aladdin Lamp"...beautiful Victorian style lamps, powered by kerosene/lamp oil. And put off a pure white light..and quite a bit of heat (handy in ice storms).
http://www.aladdinlamps...

Dsc_0122.nef-1

Baking up a foccacia with Cambodian spices and Thai basil. Seem to have gone overboard on the hoarding.. I have 4 heads of cauliflowers sitting on my counter top! (regular, romanesco, purple & orange!). Plenty of Dosa batter for pancakes & crepes for the kids, stocked up to the hilt.

We're not in Sandy's path but are expecting rain and high winds which could (and often does!) lead to a power outage. The generator's been checked so we'll be able to rotate and keep most food cool and I'll cook whatever starts to look like it needs cooking. Best to all of you in Sandy's path. I wish you all well!

What haven't I cooked? So far have made chicken soup, roasted a pumpkin, roasted cauliflower, made lamb stew. Homemade apple sauce for snacks and dessert.

Dsc_0028

We're also in Maryland where for some mysterious reason power failures are practically routine. Just about everyone in the neighborhood has a generator. It's like living in a a third-world country. I made a big pot of bolognese for Sandy! But we have a gas stove, so power outages don't keep me from cooking. It's the limited daylight this time of year that calls for some planning ahead. Since our 5-day outage during July's 100+ degree heat, we now have acquired a generator to keep our two fridges going. No more filling coolers with ice!

08270410avatar_messbrasil

Hey,cbchick.I hope everything is fine with you and I don't want you to take me wrong but I just have to say it:don't put all third world countries in the same bag...I know it's a cultural thing but it's not like that!I live in Brazil and in my 35 years of age,I've never been without power for more than a couple of hours(and that occurs rarely),I don't know anyone who owns a generator,never ate or drank something contaminated,never been robbed...so sorry if this was not the time or place but I felt somewhat offended and just couldn't help myself from saying something.

Dsc_0048b

like cookbook chick, I'm also in MD (DC area) where we routinely lose power for days. I will be cooking whatever thaws once my power, inevitably, goes out. I know i have a pork shoulder in the freezer as well as portions of hominy and salsa verde, so probably a posole. Also several pounds of grounds meats, so maybe a bolognese too. Andouille sausage, chicken thighs, will all likely get cooked this week. I have to stop freezing so much!

Dsc_0028

You're right, healthierkitchen! My two refrigerator freezers, emptied and cleaned, like Sam1148's, after the July power outage have somehow magically filled right back up again! How does that happen?? :-) I keep saying we need to eat through our stores -- freezer and pantry. Sandy offers a good excuse -- we can view it as a hurricane cup half full! But on the serious side, I hope all of you who are in the path of this ginormous storm stay safe and get through it with as few problems as possible. Refrigerated and frozen food, while disappointing to lose, is the least of it.

Photo_(6)

We have a lot of stuff.. avial, dal, makhani, some foccacia, cookies and a big cake (remember I asked a hotline question recently) and lots of beer and wine ofcourse...my house is always stuffed with fruits and yogurt so we have everything we might need..stay safe east coasters. We are also celebrating full moon which is today...:)-

Birthday_2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Turned out to be very unfortunate that the moon was full because of the tides.

I made a vat of Martha Stewart's mac and cheese, which seemed appropriately comforting. Also, a huge pot of braised collards with sweet potato. I think the next thing will be an apple crisp. I'm thinking warm and comforting! Let's cross our fingers we don't lose power...

Cakes

We may lose power tomorrow due to high winds, so I made a pot of chili and AJ's pear cowboy cake. I am going to a call-a-thon with drbabs' marvelous magical cookies in tow. Tomorrow I'll be roasting cauliflower with a nod to Ina, and making a batch of pear and pancetta soup. There are individual meat loaves in the freezer, and we have good sources for local produce. I bought a case of delicata squash and so will slice roast a few with salt, pepper, olive oil, lemon juice, and a brushing of maple syrup. They are so good warm, room temp, or even cold chopped in a salad. Stay safe, everyone.

Cakes

Cakes

Dsc_0122.nef-1

What an experience! 5 whole days of cooking without electricity. Roasted sweet potatoes in the fireplace ( the firewood was quite kosher since it was from our tree that toppled during last yrs food52 potluck. Made a salad with apples, a ginger and carrot rice with ghee (which I have 3 lbs of since I can't let the butter go bad in the freezer.. A roasted eggplant and red pepper chutney cooked down to remove all moisture and a peanut butter and tamarind chutney, all mixed with rice. It was an un believable experience cooking under a flashlight! Plenty of spaghetti with evoo & dried herbs for the kids..

Dsc_0122.nef-1

Dsc00859_2

Hope you are all well Panfusine and your power is restored soon if it is not already.

Me
Amanda Li

Amanda is a developer at Food52.

Being in Zone A, we attempted to cook everything in the fridge in case the power went out. This ended up being quick roasted salmon, kale green smoothies, and hard boiled eggs.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet