🔎

• 3

• 832

Prepping Apples in Advance

Would peeling & slicing apples in advance of making a tart (perhaps keeping them in acidulated water) leach the apple slices of flavour? I'd like to take an apple tart to the office in the morning and prefer to freshly bake tarts to avoid sogginess. I usually prepare all the ingredients the night before and simply assemble and bake. Do you think prepping the apples the night before would result in reduction of flavour?

Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

Could you assemble the whole tart (does it get a top? that would make freezing it possible)and freeze it overnight and then bake it in the morning? I think keeping apples in acidulated water that long will ruin the apples and affect the tart

Nicole Swenson added over 1 year ago

If you can get your hands on ambrosia apples I've found they take the longest to turn brown after cutting. Great flavor too.

nutcakes added over 1 year ago

Cutting with a ceramic knife then sealing in a ziplock bag with a little lemon juice should work.