🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Pie Crusts

Every year, when I make pumpkin pie, my crust is SOGGY before we get through 1/2 of the pie. WHY? How can I correct that problem?

asked by Terri W. almost 2 years ago
Monita_photo

Do you pre-bake (ie "blind bake)the crust before filling it and baking it. It sounds like the crust may not be baked through.

Try 1) blind baking the crust for 10 minutes or so before adding the filling and 2) warming the filling to about 130 F before adding it to the blind-baked crust. That way, the wet filling spends less time in contact with the crust before it fully cooks and sets.
This recipe uses the same idea, but it works with any filling: http://food52.com/recipes...
Alternatively, you could eat the pie faster! A certain amount of sogginess WILL happen over time; not much you can do about that.

With any pie/tart crust if I feel there may be possible sogginess, I brush the shell with a mixture of egg white, sugar & water. I do this twice whilst blind baking and it produces a slightly crisp shell that holds up beautifully with any juicy or damp filling.