The meal before the big meal.

Jim's whole family arrives on Tuesday. We will go out to eat on Wednesday but I will need to plan another meal for a large group on Tuesday. I'd like it to be on the healthy side. I'm embarrassed to mention how many cups of cream and pounds of butter I am purchasing for Tday. Anyhow, I was thinking paella or a whole fish. Easy and bright flavors are my criteria. Other ideas? Thanks.

asked by Summer of Eggplant over 1 year ago

I often make soup and salad before Tday to keep things simple; also, I find them a nice contrast to a big, formal meal. Perhaps the Genius Potato Soup with Fried Almonds and the Northern Spy Salad? Or you could make vvvanessa's Chinese Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Kale and Apple Slaw. They're insanely delicious and easy, with lots of bright flavors. I'm sure whatever you make will be delicious and appreciated, so I'd go with whatever sounds best to you! : )

You can always do something akin to tapas / dim sum / mezes, depending on where in the world you want to go. I think sharing plates just brings the family together on many levels. It'll be a good warm up for the next day.

Japanese would be excellent too. Everything from deep dashi broths to cold soba noodles to sushi would make fantastic light meals.

The recipe for salmon moqueca has been on my list for quite a while. You could easily double the recipe if you have a lot of people. With some wild rice, it would be a delicious and healthy meal.

A couple of soups and good bread might be an option and you can make them a day or two ahead since it sounds like you'll be busy all week. Fellow 52er GiGi26 makes 3 different soups for Christmas Eve and pleases everyone!