🔎

• 3

• 631

• See other questions tagged:
    • Cook

Does any one know how to cook a turkey?

Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

There are many ways to cook a turkey. You might like to check out the various options at

Susan.streit

Susan is a recipe tester for Food52.

I like to roast a turkey that's slighter on the smaller side, about 10-12 pounds. Preheat an oven to 350. Stuff turkey cavity with one bunch sage, one onion sliced in half, and one head of garlic sliced in half cross-wise, and season with salt and pepper. Rub the whole turkey with 4 to 6 tablespoons of softened butter, and season very liberally with salt and pepper. Tuck the wings behind the back, and tie the legs together. Place a rack in the bottom of a roasting pan. Pour 1 cup chicken stock in the pan. Place the turkey on the rack and roast for about 2 1/2 hours, or until the juices from the bird are clear. Allow the turkey to rest for approximately 20 minutes before carving, to ensure a juicy bird. Use the pan drippings for gravy.

Bigpan
bigpan added over 1 year ago

The last couple turkeys I have done have been on the BBQ rotisserie - the finished product is very juicy and it frees up the oven for other stuff.
Invest in a good thermometer and read both thr thigh and breast to be perfect.