🔔
🔎

Chocolate Pecan Pie is not setting

I am making this Chocolate Pecan and Bourbon Pie. It's not setting. The "done" test in the recipe says to a knife inserted halfway between the center and the edge comes out clean. It's been 65 minutes and it's still not coming out clean. Some it it is chocolate, I'm certain. But how can I tell if it's done?

asked by Dea Henrich about 2 years ago
Twitter

What is your oven temperature? Most recipes for pecan pie call for 50-60 minutes of baking time, which it appears you did -- was your pie still a bit jiggly when taken out of the oven? How long have you set it to cool?

Open-uri20141030-6777-167tand

I'm trying to find an alternate method to test doneness because the chocolate probably means that the knife will never come out clean.

Open-uri20141030-6777-167tand

I have not taken it out of the oven because the knife has not come out clean. I baked it at 350F (I have an oven thermometer).

Twitter

Is the pie firm to the touch but still a bit jiggly? If so, then you can remove it from the oven and let cool, and set. It's better to have it a bit underdone rather than overdone, but if that makes you uncomfortable and it ends up being a bit overbaked, you can always serve it with ice cream or crème fraîche.

Open-uri20141030-6777-167tand

Thanks for your help. The sides are pretty firm. The middle is a jiggly. I think I will take it out. After it cools, I will refrigerate it. Thank you so much for your help. I have made this as tarts before but never as a pie. A cardinal sin for Thanksgiving!

Twitter

It sounds like the pie is ready! It also sounds super delicious -- enjoy it tomorrow!

Open-uri20141030-6777-167tand

Thanks again!