🔎

Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

Here's a recipe from the New York Times for an Umbrian chickpea soup. I've never made it but it looks quite good
http://www.nytimes.com...

Garden_me

Pamela Sheldon Johns is the author of numerous cookbooks, the most recent being Cucina Povera: Tuscan Peasant Cooking. She lives at Poggio Etrusco, her organic agriturismo in Tuscany, producing extra-virgin olive oil and teaching about traditional regional Italian food and wine.

Hello Maedl, Though ceci are found all over Italy, you're right that the ceci neri come from the south. I have had them with pasta, stewed, and mixed with other legumes such as lentils, but I also love them puréed in a velvety soup. In the summer they make a delicious salad especially colored up with bits of red and yellow pepper. In this holiday season, I think they would be stunning served in a piece of roasted pumpkin! Here is a little video of my recipe for simple stewed (not black, but will work with black) ceci. This is from my recent book Cucina Povera, Tuscan Peasant Cooking.