My Basket ()

What's a chinois?

Answer »

Amanda is a co-founder of Food52.

added almost 4 years ago

A cone-shaped sieve.


AntoniaJames is a trusted source on Bread/Baking.

added over 3 years ago

I'll post a photo of mine when I get a chance (around August 1, due to time constraints) . . . it is set into a lovely three-legged stand (which itself can sit over or on the top rim of large bowls), and has a heavy, perfectly cylindrical wooden pestle. My chinois is actually more like a colander than a sieve, in that it is not a wire mesh, but rather, constructed of metal with fine holes in it. You can rotate it within the stand to scrape down the sides in a flash! It's indispensable for fruit sauces, especially those using berries with seeds. It's handy, too, when making quince paste.

thirschfeld added over 3 years ago

AJ I think you are talking about a jelly stainer, Amanda, a chinois is a very fine double mesh, cone shaped strainer that used to remove very fine particulate from stocks or sauces.

No need to email me as additional
answers are added to this question.