🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

"Miracle bag" as alternative to a chinois

I recently heard someone refer to a "miracle bag" as so much better than a chinois for fine straining/pureeing. I haven't been able to find it in a google search. Does anyone know what it is?

asked by SeaJambon almost 2 years ago
Chris_in_oslo

Perhaps you mean Regency soup socks? I haven't used them myself and I doubt they approach the quality level of a good chinois, but I've thought they look convenient.

I think you're talking about a "Superbag" a heat proof micro style bag for making stock and straining...you put all the stuff in the bag boil it..and squeeze and all the fine bits are left behind in the reusable bag. http://www.le-sanctuaire...

P1291120

Sam - That's it! Am trying to make the Lemon Pudding from Alinea Cookbook and it has to go through a chinois a total of three times. I heard someone indicate that a ___-bag was better than a chinois for this purpose and doing the research (now that I have a key word to use!) I'm very confident the "Superbag" is the thing. Thanks!

They're available in several micron sizes. Which confuses me and I've never found a good source saying which to use what application. Just generic "superbag". The finer ones are used to strain out tomatoes etc...into pure white juice. The others are used for dumping thing (herbs, bones, meats, etc) to boil to make stocks...and squeezing things.

Maybe someone familiar with the micro sizes in the bag will chime in here.

IMHO...I think the larger one would be one to use...as the finer ones are very..very fine and used to make things like the tomato extract which leaves behind the red color and passes only the drained clear juice. Micro chemistry style.
(I've never used one, but was interested for the product).

Nut milk bag probably. They are a handy little thing to have if you don't want to invest in a chinois or just want to save some space in. Ruby kitchen. You can usually find them in the grocery store. Obviously, it doesn't have the advantage d the hydraulic pressure you can Crete with a chinois so sometimes a little more 'elbow grease' is required but otherwise, it I similarly effective.

Chris_in_oslo

Cool website, Sam1148. Here's what I found through Google: The 400 microns is just a bit finer than a standard chinois. 250 microns is for significantly finer filtration, and 100 microns is for clarification. I might have to get some of these.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

What kinds of things would you be straining? I find that butter muslin over any strainer, then drawn up, twisted and squeezed after most of the liquid has passed through it, works really well. Then you just rinse it out, spread it out or hang it over whatever's convenient, and within a few hours, it's dry, then easily folded and kept in the drawer with kitchen linens. ;o)

Chris_in_oslo

I was thinking about that ultra-fine one for clarification. Otherwise, I agree with you completely.

P1291120

I've just tried 5 times without success (sorry if my frustration is showing!) to post a site reference for the filtration question. Basically, 80 microns is human hair; 120 table salt; 250 beach sand... Let's see if this version will post instead ...

Chris_in_oslo

I can report that Le Sanctuaire, which seems to be the major source for Super Bags in the US, delivers promptly. They definitely seem like lab equipment, so it's time for the experiments to begin.