Best way to slice kumquats

Hi. I have never used kumquats for anything, but today I received five pounds that I want to candy and then preserve. Does anyone know if I can use a mandolin to slice the lot or are they too fragile and must be sliced by hand?

asked by ukimmeru over 1 year ago
Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

I always slice kumquats by hand. They're a little too squidgy for the mandoline. Candied kumquats are so delicious!

Open-uri20121010-19560-7ckhkl-0

They're pretty sturdy little fruits - they should work fine on the mandolin. Also: I'm jealous.

Open-uri20121010-19560-7ckhkl-0

Trust mrslarkin over me :-)

Headshot

Thank you all! Just finished the first batch. They are, indeed, a little tricky with the seeds. The serrated knife did indeed work the best. I may seek out a recipe that uses them whole. :)

I have seen whole candied kumquats, so that might be a bit easier. Marmelade might be good, too. It is a lot of work, but you can usually spread it over several days. Five pounds is a lot of kumquats!

Smokin_tokyo

I have a whole tree producing kumquats, but at least the time is staggered so I can start with cranberry relish and end with cakes in March. I slice in half and then use bamboo skewers to remove the seeds (lets the kids get involved). If you have any left try my Leftover-Turkey Kumquat Shiitake Quiche for something diffrent.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet