Can I send chocolate truffles in the mail?

Made a bunch of chocolate truffles and I'd like to mail them for the holidays. They may get soft but I don't think they'll completely melt, but they are also made from dark chocolate and heavy cream, which was heated to just below a simmer. Should I worry about them going bad?

asked by LucyS over 1 year ago
5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

Leave one out at room temperature for 3-4 hours, then test it. Did it get soft enough to mark the plate it's on? If it's looking a little melty, they're probably too soft to send and stay intact. But if it holds up just fine at room temperature, you shouldn't have to worry too much about shipping them. I'd just send it by the fastest route you can afford. USPS Regional Rate A boxes are a great gift size and usually the best deal for shipping online, and they can go coast to coast in 3 days. Good luck! =)

Bigpan

Don't just leave a test one out, put it in a small box and toss it around for a bit, then drop on the floor a couple times.
I suggest with such a valuable treat as homemade truffles, package in the gift box, wrap in bubble wrap with a plastic bag cold wrap, (the ones that have the cold gel and are pliable) then in a shipping box.
Use USPS or FedEx for fast delivery.
I've also used small styrofoam boxes you can get from a gelato store.

Hi - I send them all the time! (Cambacakes.net) box them pretty tightly in a cool room and with cold hands(your body heat is not their friend). Then place in a box with bubble wrap. I send via UPS and they are delivered beautifully in most areas - shipping to warm climates doesn't always arrive well. In those cases include a cold pack and ship overnight.

Junechamp

I have had much the same experience.