🔎

Best way to use the rest of a lemon after grating off the zest?

I'm baking and just scraped off all zest from a lemon. I don't want to just throw the leftover lemon out. Any ideas for how to preserve/use the lemon?

Twitterprofilepic
Fsm
trampledbygeese added over 1 year ago

One idea is to make icing from the lemon juice and icing sugar. It came to mind because you said you are baking and I haven't met the person who doesn't like lemon icing.

Waffle3
ChefOno added over 1 year ago

You can wrap the lemon in plastic wrap and toss it in the refrigerator for later use. Depending upon the type of wrap, it could keep just as long as if you hadn't removed its natural protective layer.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

Or make a glass of fresh lemonade: place juice in a tall glass. Add a few spoonfuls of sugar, to taste. top off with cold water or seltzer, some ice and a sprig of mint or basil.

amysarah added over 1 year ago

I usually wrap and refrigerate it - rarely a week goes by that there's not some way to use lemon juice. A pan sauce, salad dressing, braise, vegetable dish, dessert....more often than not, I find the missing element in a recipe is that hit of acid. Fresh lemon juice never goes to waste.

P1291120
SeaJambon added over 1 year ago

Or juice it and freeze the juice in ice cube trays --pull out and use as you need fresh lemon juice in the future.