🔎

How to use too salty and acidic pan sauces?

I made a baked chicken with preserved lemons (Mark Bittman recipe- basically, chicken with lots of preserved lemons in the cavity and under the skin, with some butter and honey rubbed over) - the pan sauce was rather salty and lemony, but I would have liked to have done something with it to make a sauce for the white meat. Boiling it down would just intensify the salty, tangy flavor, I presume. What do you recommend for making a sauce when the pan juices are really intense and salty or acidic?

3-bizcard

Maybe you could add some unsalted butter and a little white wine to some of the pan jus and reduce, you could thicken if you like with beurre manie, the flour and unsalted butter I think it would be lovely.

KatyM added over 1 year ago

Above is a good solution; I'd also try watering them down for salad dressings and bases for vinaigrettes. A good dressing can make simple mixed greens sing!

Sewassbe added over 1 year ago

Put it on something very bland. Plain pasta (cooked in unsalted water), plain potatoes, white rice etc. Something soak up the flavor and mute it a bit.

Or add a little water or plain chicken stock and make a pan gravy for that delicious white meat.

Adding some cream will dissipate some of the saltiness as well, and will taste wonderful with the lemony flavor.

Sam1148 added over 1 year ago

A pinch or two of baking soda will adjust the acid balance. But taste and use small pinches...it can also neutralize all the other flavors. A true mineral water with a high calcium content and reduce the sauce would have less aggressive effect.