TWINKLE FOR YOUR TABLE. SHOP NOW »

Want to make muffins that call for rolled oats. I have steel cut oatmeal. Can I soak them and substitute?

asked by abbe over 3 years ago

I would not sub steel cut oats, unless they are the quick cooking steel cut oats that you've soaked overnight. In that case, you might be okay, although you'd probably also want to decrease the liquid level somehwere else. The results, I'd think, would be different, though. Steel cut oats are much coarser and take much longer too cook. Bottom line, I'd try to get my hands on the rolled oats. But if you are willing to experiment, knowing results might be different...