🔎

Making dried salted lemons instead of preserved lemons

Mayers Lemons are sale. I usually make a jar of preserved lemons, they get slimy after a few months. Could I slice and boil in salt water, and then dehydrate them and pack in dry salt for longer shelf life?

Baci1
HalfPint added over 1 year ago

I think what you want is called msir and it's made almost the same way as preserved lemons, then the juices that accumulate is poured off. Here's a pretty detailed tutorial, http://foodsoftheworld...

Sam1148 added over 1 year ago

Ahh, yes. I saw something about those.
I've purchased dried lemons at middle eastern stores and they always taste a bit, well like fake cool aide products.

I may try both and see which works---I was thinking using 'candied' lemon slices as a starting recipe..but with salt instead instead of sugar.

Baci1
HalfPint added over 1 year ago

Maybe you can cook and cool the lemons in supersaturated salt solution and then drain and let it dry out. You might have to do this a few times until you get the dryness that you prefer.

Alternatively, salt pack thin slices of lemon with coarse sea salt.