🔎

What is a good bread to substitute for brioche?

I can't find challah or brioche bread at any local bakeries and the only one that has ran out. I need the bread by today! Are there are similar breads I can buy at the grocery store or local bakery that would be fine instead?

Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

It depends what you wanted to use this for. But both brioche and challah are more eggy/chewy than other breads. So a softer bread/roll would be a good substitute. If you live in an area where there might be a kosher butcher shop, you could probably find challah bread there

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added over 1 year ago

Challah bread in a kosher butcher shop. Challah can be found in most bakeries, bigger supermarkets, trader joes, whole foods...

Gobblegobble
Elizabeth Rex added over 1 year ago

A Chinese pai bao/pai pau ("row bun") is soft and chewy, and might be a good substitute. It has no egg in it, though. You can find these in Chinese bakeries, if you live by a Chinatown.

Baci1
HalfPint added over 1 year ago

Potato Rolls or bread would be a good substitute.

FutureChef added over 1 year ago

Just ask for any enriched white bread at the bakery counter... That's ultimately what you're after.

Face
twistandsnag added over 1 year ago

Brioche is a rich dough, so alternatives could be other rich doughs such as: baba/savarin, kugelhopf, hot cross buns and even panettone (although that has extra extra flavour and is more like cake). It really all depends on what you are using it for.