🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

How long can I keep mortadella?

I bought 1/2 pound of mortadella in one piece (not sliced) last Monday from Eataly - it's still in the original packaging from the deli counter - would it still be ok? Wanting to mix it into tortellini or meatballs today.

asked by JuliaB almost 2 years ago
Dsc_0028

Yes, as long as you kept it in the fridge. Cured meats do not spoil quickly.

I'd call the deli. If you mean Monday 2 days ago, obviously fine. If you mean Monday 9-10 days ago, I think you are pushing it for a moist meat like Mortadella which is not dried as much as dry salami, say. Either way, if it isn't molding I suppose it is just okay.

L1020855

It also gets slimy when past its prime,JuliaB. You can tell by smell and texture/slime .

Mortadella is NOT a "cured" meat although it is a form of sausage. A week after it's been sliced is probably okay. Some of the commercial types do contain preservatives as well as sodium nitrate which will last longer. But from Eataly... I would advise eat it now. As bonus you should see pieces of lard and pistachio in the slice.

Jules

Thanks all, it was actually fine (not slimy, no smell) and I ground it into meatballs which were delicious!