🔎

• 11

• 3605

• See other questions tagged:
    • cooking

Can u substitute a sweet potato for a white potato in a soup recipe?

Image

What's the soup?

Gobblegobble
Elizabeth Rex added over 1 year ago

I think it depends on context and application. What kind of soup? While a sweet potato would be totally incongruous in something like a white clam chowder, in a tomato-based veggie soup, it might actually be fresh and interesting, given its sweetness.

Gobblegobble
Elizabeth Rex added over 1 year ago

supersuki added over 1 year ago

It's a spinach and zucchini soup -- veg broth based.

ATL added over 1 year ago

A good question for yourself is whether you would add carrots to this. Both would add sweetness not in line with the original soup. If sweet tones wouldn't bother you, then go ahead. But of the idea of carrots grosses you out in the soup, omit the sweet potato.

ATL added over 1 year ago

Also you could omit the white potato totally, or add some kind of grain.

supersuki added over 1 year ago

Thank you! This particular recipe calls for all the ingredients to be blended in the end. I'll skip the grains this time but I like the idea for next time.

supersuki added over 1 year ago

Thanks!

Open-uri20130103-17063-6cmnrh-0
Matt Wheelock added over 1 year ago

I think it would be fine

Buddhacat
SKK added over 1 year ago

Sweet potatoes are of course sweet and are have a lot of fiber. The texture may be mealy. Personally I would not exchange sweet for white. And there are a lot of wonderful recipes specifically for sweet potatoes/yams that would be great.

Stringio
TiphanyP added over 1 year ago

I personally wouldn't exchange it but if u want to switch it up. Maybe butternut squash?