🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

How helpful is a Meat Grinder?

I prefer having a streamlined kitchen with essential tools only. How helpful is having a meat grinder? Is there an alternate tool that I could use? Or should I make my butcher my best friend?

asked by prandial over 1 year ago
Monita_photo

If you own a kitchen aid mixer you can easily get a meat grinder attachment. Otherwise, I'd rely on your butcher unless you are an avid sausage maker

Thank you both! Regarding the Kitchen Aid attachment, does it really work? I've seen mixed reviews of Kitchen Aid attachments (such as the pasta roller), so I've been reluctant to go the way of the attachment. Thanks again for your help!

Junechamp

The meat grinder for the KitchAid really works. I've been grinding my own now for more than 20 years with the same attachment. It's a good investment, takes up little space.

I've read some complaints about the pasta attachment but honestly I think the problem is that the people who make those complaints really don't know how to handle pasta dough. It does require a certain level of skill.

Monita_photo

I've found both the Kitchen Aid meat grinder and pasta attachments work very well

Dsc_0028

I use the KA meat grinder attachment to grind meat. I cut the meat into oblong pieces that will easily fit in the feeding tube. Works fine! I also have the pasta roller and cutters - I love them! So much easier to have both hands free rather than having to hand-crank. I would recommend using semolina flour for dusting. I use Bob's Red Mill. It seems to make the pasta less sticky and easier to feed through the machine.

Stringio

You can also easily use a food processer, if you have one. Helps if you cube the meat and freeze it briefly!

Buddhacat

Been using my Kitchen Aid meat grinder for over 20 years with no problem. Love it and it works beautifully.

Thank you all for your help! The Kitchen Aid is the way to go -- happy cooking!

Moi_1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I too own KA grinder, I love it and use it a lot. But it is not an absolute must for everyone. Before you invest, you should consider how often you cook or use ground meat, and how happy you are with you butcher. I know many good cooks who do not own one and are perfectly happy cooking without it.

The_cook

A timely question for me. Been doing my own research and since I don't own a KitchenAid, I have bee looking at stand alone. Models.. Has any one had experience with the Waring Pro Meat Grinder?

Dsc_0034

I absolutely love my KAid meat grinder and I can't imagine my love without it. I got mine from my mother in law (she got it from her mom), so it's a really old one. the thing is, that attachments you can buy now are made differently (plastic or something) and this is why people complain and say that it doesn't work very well. so if I were you, I would look for the original one on eBay, or similar. it really does make a difference. The other benefit of having it - you can attach a sausage attachment to it. I just made my first sausages last one.

110

I also have the KitchenAid attachment, which I have used to effect a few times for large batches. I've also gone to the food processor (what a horrid name.) Lately I've come to using my really sharp nine inch chef's knife to both give me the cut of meat I want, plus some upper-body exercise. Results are remarkably similar.

Love my kitchen Aid grinder. I don't use it often, but it is only small attachments, so it works for me. Especially for awesome burgers. I can pick and choose my meats.

L1020855

Additional reasons to get the KA grinder ... ground cooked ham makes great ham salad and adds great flavor to meatloaves. Ground cooked chicken and turkey also make great homemade salads with the simple addition of mayo.Veggies can be run through the grinder too. I'll run celery and dill pickles and onions through mine when I want to flavor the ham,chicken and turkey salads . I've even run boiled eggs through for egg salad.Can you tell I'm a fan???

I'm looking at the KA attachment, and I am wondering if the KA attachment that you all are talking about is the plastic one (approx $50) or the stainless one (approx $150). Please let me know and thanks.

Moi_1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I have the plastic one.

Dsc_0028

I also have the plastic one.

Dsc_0028

(Is there a metal food grinder made by KA? I just looked on their website and I don't see one.)

The housing is plastic but the worm, the knife and the extrusion plates are metal.

Dsc_0028

Yes, you are correct, pierino. But I was wondering about LLStone's question about choosing between the $50 plastic grinder and the $150 stainless one. Perhaps a different manufacturer? LLStone, can you tell us what you are seeing?

Yes, cookbookchick, it is a different manufacturer, although I didn't notice it! I was just searching Kitchen Aid meat grinder, and a metal one came up by Chef's Choice. I'm happy to know though, that the KA attachment is so well-recommended. Thanks everyone!