🔔
🔎

Best way (or tool) to skim foam when starting to boil meats for stock?

asked by KKool about 2 years ago
Susan.streit
carbonarasuz

Susan is a Recipe Tester for Food52

I like to use a large metal spoon with a long handle, or even a ladle. Dip the rim of the spoon or ladle slowly below the foam and scoop it up. I do the same method when skimming fat from a stock.

Bigpan

The very best way is to make the stock a day or two early, put in the fridge, then simply "lift" the fat solids off the top.
Otherwise I use a teabag strainer.

Waffle3

First off, don't boil the stock if you're going to skim. The turbulence created will keep the fat and protein particles in suspension. Barely simmer, uncovered.

Skimming is all about making a clear stock. If you care about that, skim away. And either blanch or roast the meat, bones and skin before beginning (roasting will create much more flavorful results). Start with cold water and bring it *slowly* to a bare simmer. Ladle -- not pour -- off the clear portion of stock, stopping when you hit the murky layer. Then do this: Taste the clarified stock and compare that with the cloudy stuff left in the bottom of the pot. Surprise! That's why I don't clarify my stocks.

I was just about to offer the exact same advice as ChefOno. After hours of simmering I ladle mine through two chinois with a layer of cheese cloth in between. When making poultry stock I remove as much skin as I can tear off with my fingers as it doesn't improve the flavor in anyway. Refrigerated over night you will probably still have a "fat cap" that is easily removed.