🔎

Question about Risotto Rosso

I am planning on making risotto rosso for a dinner party and I wonder if I can make it ahead of time and reheat it, or will that result in a starchy, overcooked risotto? If I should not make ahead and reheat, are there a way to partially complete the dish in advance?

Me

Kenzi is the Associate Editor of Food52.

Voted the Best Answer!

We used to prep risotto ahead of time in a restaurant where I used to cook. We'd cook the risotto to 85% doneness -- a bit shy of al dente, still a little crunchy -- and then spread it out on baking sheets to cool it and stop the cooking. (If this step happens a lot in advance, put the risotto in the fridge, covered, until ready to use.) When you're ready to serve, resume your cooking, and heat back up by stirring with a bit of warmed stock until it's done. Best of luck!

Bigpan
bigpan added about 1 year ago

I'm not a huge fan of risotto rosso because the color often is not appetizing - but you might consider adding some beet juice to make it a nice rich red color ! A couple tablespoons will not alter the flavor while adding great color to the final product.

Bigpan
bigpan added about 1 year ago

And yes, as above, even the best Italian restaurants pre-cook and re-heat.

Chef Pete added about 1 year ago

Yes, cook just more than half way, still firm and crunchy but increased in size 50% from absorption, remove from heat and cool in a shallow pan. When ready, preheat stock and add risotto to finish.