🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Any suggestions for how to serve foie gras mousse? Accompaniments? Same question for duck confit---serving ideas?

asked by stinkycheese almost 4 years ago
Profile

For the duck confit, are you serving whole legs or is it a rillette/pate? We typically sear the legs in our iron skillet in their own fat until the skin is browned and crisp, and serve with duck fat fried or roasted potatoes and a big green salad with mustard vinaigrette. For a rillette or pate, I love serving with plenty of sliced baguette, a good sharp Dijon and/or wholegrain mustard, and cornichons. Foie gras mousse is much more delicate and I want it to be the star, so typically I'll serve with sliced baguette or plain water crackers, and perhaps some grapes, fresh figs, or slices of tart apple.

Dsc_0015

Wow, thank you. Great suggestions. Sorry, I should've specified the confit is whole legs. I'm looking forward to trying your ideas. Happy Thanksgiving!

Chris_in_oslo

lastnightsdinner has it exactly right with the seared duck leg confit, potatoes and green salad and vinegrette. Be sure to use a good mustard (Dijon--the same one you're having with the pate) and a good olive oil. Though walnut or another nut oil would also be a good choice. Sometimes the meat tends to come off the leg bones when you sear them, but just scrape up everything to serve--a little messy but still delicious.

Chris_in_oslo

Hey stinky cheese, I just checked your profile, and it mentioned that one of the things you'd most like to eat is cassoulet. A perfect use for duck confit! It's a lot of work, but worth it.

Farmer's_market

Looks like you already got the lowdown on the confit (a small salad with vinaigrette is essential, I think - it cuts the richness of the confit perfectly.)

In terms of the foie gras mousse, I agree about keeping it simple, all you need is thin slices of good baguette, maybe lightly toasted...unless you want to splurge a little, in which case a glass of sauternes is the classic accompaniment - really a delicious combination.

I'm going with lastnightsdinner's answer as well. Toasted crusty bread and plenty of it. And ditto on the cornichons and mustard.