Acceptable substitute for oyster sauce?

I am allergic to oysters and don't want to risk it but I also don't want to compromise flavor in my Asian dishes that call for it.

asked by emilysev over 2 years ago
8a2c197a-eaf6-414d-8be8-e1212df9ad42

Are you allergic to fish? If not, you could try subbing fish sauce if you're sure it's not contaminated with oysters.

Eb515e78-7387-4e72-b91d-acfa26b55b99.default-full

I do not think there are oysters in oyster sauce. Worcestershire sauce is a good substitute, but try reading the list of ingredients on the oyster sauce bottle.

B0e51b35-a002-4fdd-adc2-f06fa947184e.baci1

Oyster sauce does indeed have oysters in it, at least in the extact form. Also there might be scallops. Worcestershire sauce is not a good substitute because it does not taste anything like oyster sauce. I know that you can get a vegetarian "oyster" sauce made with mushrooms. Hopefully the poster is not allergic to mushrooms.

One other thing I would suggest as a substitute is dark soy sauce. You would not need as much, but the flavor is closer than Worcestershire or fish sauce.