🔔
🔎

Angel food cake and meringues, or a Pavlova

Dsc_0002_2

I was just looking at pavlovas... maybe too much competition for my cake

Baci1

Forgot, nougat is also called torrone (Italian) or turron (Spanish). A great way to use up egg whites.

Egg white omelets?

Junechamp

Unless you want to make macarons to go with your ice cream, egg whites freeze very well. but why aren't you using whole eggs in your ice cream? I never use just egg yolks, no matter what the recipe says.

Junechamp

Dsc_0002_2

Tell me more! Just add the eggs in whole? Sub 6 whole eggs for 6 egg whites? How does this effect freezing? I cannot do same-day here, so I am probably looking at a hard freeze.

Junechamp

Julia Child has a delicious souffle with egg whites only. It's savory. Ithink it's in volume one of Mastering.

Well I am babysitting for my grandson so I don't have Julia at the ready. As I recall, it is about 7 whites (she gives cup measurement too) and nonwhole eggs. And lots of gruyere... I have used frozen whites successfully. Try googling. Send me your email and I will copy it for you ans send it. But not until tomorrow.

Sadie_crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

http://littleferrarokitchen...

Sadie_crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Julia's recipe doesn't really help you a lot, though, because it uses 4 egg yolks and 5 egg whites, so you only get to use up 1 of your excess whites.

Nasturtiums

Swiss meringue frosting for cakes, or make a Swiss meringue for filling s'mores or topping pies this summer.

JC. 16 th edition: 6 or 7 egg whites (3/4 to 7/8 cup) plus the usual Julia ration of butter and cheese.... Yolks are not mentioned. Enjoy it as my family has for decades.

Moi_1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

You can make meringue sheets, and then assemble them with whipped cream in layers, like a cake. Best to do it abour 4 hours before serving...

Dsc00859_2

This will use up 7: http://food52.com/recipes...

How_to_make_a_custard_part_1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

And one more baked good: Financiere. The batter will keep for up to a month refrigerated and you can bake a few at a time... On an "as needed" basis. Also the actual baked financiere will keep for at least a week in a tightly lidded tim, or even in the fridge. Egg whites are the humble gold of kitchens. Never throw them out again!

Macarons! The egg whites will be even better if you let them age for some time so you do not have to worry about using them right away. Otherwise, my go-to when I have egg whites after making ice cream is marshmallow sauce because you can eat the two together!