Kaffir lime leaves

I found a packet at Whole Foods, so I bought it! 2 questions:
Ideas, recipes that I can use them for?
Can I freeze them to use later?

asked by creamtea over 1 year ago
Gator_cake

Oh! Save some for summer and make this: http://food52.com/recipes...

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Also essential in homemade Thai curry pastes . . . . and they're magical in a broth made with lemongrass, galangal, crushed coriander seeds, a few peppercorns, a couple handfuls of coarsely chopped cilantro stems and a few cloves of crushed garlic. ;o)

Dsc00859_2

Thanks AJ. Do you mean a chicken-based broth or a simple one with just those ingredients?

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

creamtea, you could put those ingredients into a plain chicken stock if you wanted, but lately (since I started making 18 out of every 21 meals vegan) have just been putting those ingredients into a big pot with filtered water. I notice that I left out another ingredient that invariably finds its way into this stock: the dark green top parts of scallions, which I save in the fridge for this purpose. We always have extra, it seems. A small regular onion or a few shallots could be used instead. ;o)

Dsc00859_2

Thanks, HalfPint, hardlikearmour and AJ. Can't wait to try them out in all these ways.

Dsc_0122.nef-1

Freeze them.. or shade dry them

Imag0055

Or grow them. I'm mostly an outdoor gardener, but I have a kaffir lime tree in a large pot indoors (in Maine) and it does quite nicely. It will supply you with more leaves than you will ever use, and it is not nearly as fussy as a potted citrus like the Meyer lemon that is its next door inside neighbor. Careful (not over) watering and some misting and fish emulsion are all you need.

Life_as_art-_japanese_print_3

I find that they dry out quite fast in the fridge and thus become tasteless. I have kept them in the freezer but after a week, they lost their distinctive smell. My best bet is to buy them in small quantities next time or .. grow your own plant. Oh btw, they are a match made in heaven with ground peanuts.

Life_as_art-_japanese_print_3

Try putting them in peanut sauce for Gado-gado (Indonesian salad)