🔔
🔎

Pict1821

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

Lehnhoca, I don't have a specific recipe to recommend, but Japanese cheesecake is light and airy, or souffle-like, as you've described. You might try searching for that, to see if it looks like what you're aiming for for. Here's just one example: http://www.thelittleteochew...

The photo looks a lot like the one I remember. I will try this recipe this weekend and let you know how it turns out. thanks for the tip

How_to_make_a_custard_part_1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

Without more specifics it's difficult to know exactly what you're looking for. Most cheesecakes now are made with Philadephia cream cheese, which is less like cheese and more like glue. In order to make them "light" one would have to add a lot of eggs and air, which is the opposite of what you want to do with an "East Coast" cheesecake.

I made a ricotta tart yesterday that came out quite light because ricotta is a "lighter cheese" because of its curd. No souffle technique necessary. My ratios: 1 part ricotta, 10% sugar, 10% egg yolks, 15% eggs, a dash of: salt, nutmeg & lemon zest. I baked the custard in a pre-baked crust at 275F for about 25 minutes. I hope this helps...

I like the idea of using a lighter cheese. Here in the midwest, they don't have the wonderful ricotta like they do on the coast, The ricotta here is more like smashed up cottage cheese with no flavor. I am going to try to see if I can mail order some of the ricotta from Cowgirl Creamery or Old Chatham. Unless you think that once it is baked that it is not as critical to have artisan cheese. Maybe the grocery store brand will do. This sounds like a great recipe for Easter brunch. I'll let you know how it turns out. thanks for the advice

Junechamp

A few years ago, a pastry chef friend made cheesecake with the traditional recipe (cream cheese, et al) and after all the ingredients were mixed, he changed from the paddle to the whisk and beat the bejeezus out of the batter. Then he baked it in the traditional manner. That cheesecake was so light, I swear it floated! Could hardly wait to get home and try it myself. it's so light it could fool you into thinking it's low-cal!

I'll give this a try. Should I beat it on high for 15 minutes or even longer? Thanks for the suggestion

Junechamp

Lehnhoca; I beat it for about 8 minutes. Top speed on the kitchenaid. be sure to use the shield!