Ramen in New York City

My daughter and I are heavily into ramen and will be in New York next week for a few days during spring break. We've been reading up and have learned about Ippudo, Totto and Hide-Chan, and of course Momofuku. But I wonder places (and specific bowls)any of you like, and why? Thanks for any tips!

asked by calendargirl over 1 year ago

Ippudo Akimura Modern is the way to go. I've been around the world of Ippudo's Ramen, and have turned many onto the Modern. Its even famous at their Tokyo restaurant.

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Love Ippudo as well. But you have to show up by 6 unless you want to wait forever.

Agreed. Lunch is not much better! I'd show up directly at 12 noon to avoid a long wait. In addition to the Akimura Modern version, they usually have a "Ramen of the day" special, and I've had one with squid ink noodles that was exquisite. All of them are very special, but a few of my foodie friends have all independently settled in on the Akimura Modern like I did. If you're hungry and work your way through the Ramen, for a few bucks extra you can get another set of noodles for your broth, but I've never been able to do it!

2010-09-15_14.22.07

Thanks so much, ChezHenry and Amanda. We will aim for an early bowl at Ippudo and let you know if we manage to discover any others. Especially appreciate the steer toward the Akimura Modern.

Cristina-014-web-final

Just to add to that list: I also like Rai Rai Ken, and if you're in Brooklyn, Ganso is pretty good.

Not exactly a noodle shop but I'm crazy about Cho Dang Gol on 35th between 6th and Broadway. It's the full on Korean experience. Comes with all the banshan and stuff. Get your kimchi on.

2010-09-15_14.22.07

Update: We had a great time at Ippudo --- arrived 20 minutes before they opened for dinner and got the last two seats. We had the Modern (with extra kakuni) and it was filling and just plain scrumptious. The call and response between the waiters and the line cooks was noisy but fun (we were seated at the bar overlooking the kitchen), and we were able to ask questions and chat with the cooks. Thanks so much for the tips! Next trip, Brooklyn!

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

So glad to hear your follow-up, and thrilled that you liked it!

2010-09-15_14.22.07

Oh, and pierino --- I have added Cho Dang Gol to my list for the next trip, too. Many thanks for that!