🔎

Mascherpone substitute

Am thinking of making tiramisu for Passover,since there were Passover ladyfingers available. But I know I won't find kosher mascherpone. Online recipes for substitutes use cream cheese, heavy cream and either butter orsour cream, and I'm notsure whichway to go (butter or sourcream). Any thoughts? Thanks!

Image
Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

I wouldn't use butter. I would mix a little sour cream into the cream cheese to loosen it up so it has a consistency closer to marscapone

Pinned
Daniel Decline added about 1 year ago

i use 8 ounces full fat cream cheese, 8 ounces low fat cream cheese, 1/3 cup low fat sour cream and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream. i combine the first 2 ingredients first and then slowly whisk in the heavy whipping cream. you will know when the consistency is right - you don't want to end up with a butter.
the other major thing is adding vanilla to soften the cream cheese flavor. i have also used almond extract. and if you want to fluff it up even more - about a 1/3 cup confectionery sugar.
i am a terrible jew and cannot recall all the dietary restrictions for pasover but i believe everything fits!

Image
Baguette & Beurre added about 1 year ago

Thanks!

Image

Thanks Daniel -- there's no reason that mascherpone shouldn't be kosher for Passover, except for the issue of "certification." From this informal survey it lookalike the cream cheese, sour cream, heavy cream combo is the winner -- no butter! Now, onto the matzoh ball gnudi....

I'm hardly an expert on keeping kosher but I'm thinking that burrata (a soft mozzarella type cheese) could substitute for mascerpone.

Maedl added about 1 year ago

If you can get kosher cream, you could make mascarpone. It uses lemon juice, not rennet.
See http://www.huffingtonpost...