🔔
🔎

What can I use to substitute cocoa powder and/or do I need to?

I have a flourless, almond meal based dark chocolate cake recipe that calls for 50g dutched cocoa. I want to turn this into a white chocolate cake. What's the best thing to replace the cocoa powder with and do I even need to for such a small amount?

asked by RadMexOz over 1 year ago

If you could direct us to the complete list of ingredients, it would be most helpful.

The original ingredients are:
140g butter
200g dark chocolate
7 eggs
200g caster sugar
240g almond meal
50g dutched cocoa
8g baking powder

As a side note, as well as using white instead if dark choc, I'm also planning on using pistachio meal instead of almond.

Coconut-panna-cotta-small-for-web

Have you tried a cake like this using white chocolate before? White chocolate and dark chocolate behave differently in cakes so you may have to make additional substitutions to make it work. (especially for a gluten-free cake like this one that doesn't have the addition of flour to give it structure). 50g of cocoa powder is a pretty significant amount (a tablespoon is between 5-10 g depending on the brand) so I would replace the same amount of another starch. Just my thoughts.

Moi_1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Cannot agree more with Couldn't Be Parve, you will need to modify the recipe if you are using white chocolate. Which then brings a logical question -- if you are using white chocolate, why would you need cocoa? But then, eliminating cocoa will ask for additional adjustments and it will become an entirely different recipe altogether.