🔎

Pressure cooker and dried beans & legume question.

I live in a hard water area. Would a pressure cooker make a difference in tenderizing or is it a water issue? I don't add salt when preparing so that's not the problem.

2007-09-11e-s4
WileyP added 12 months ago

Cooking beans in very hard water is nigh on to impossible. With just slightly hard water, a pressure cooker may help, but it will still take a long time. My suggestion is to use bottled filtered water, but *not* distilled water. With filtered watrer she will be able to use your recipe and end up with the same great beans you make!

T.T. added 12 months ago

When you say bottled filtered water do you mean that it is void of minerals in general?

6-14-4_053
thirteenJ added 12 months ago

Most commercial bottled ,filtered water is basic city tap water. It's not hard.

2007-09-11e-s4
WileyP added 12 months ago

thirteenj is right. Most bottled drinking water is city water from wherever it was bottled that has been filtered one way or another. I would reiterate, though, not to use "distilled" water. Some people say distilled water gives the beans an "off" flavor.
On the other hand, some people have hadluck adding baking soda to the water, between 1 teaspoon and 1 Tablespoon for the whole pot, depending on the hardness of the water. I've never tried that trick, though.

T.T. added 12 months ago

Thanks for the feed back folks! I've really missed having a good pot of bean and such.
I will try bottled water.

Flower-bee
Droplet added 12 months ago

It might be helpful to get a pitcher with built-in replaceable filter--that way you won't have to worry about recycling the plastic bottles. Or a faucet filter would be of help as well. The basic ones only neutralize chlorine but there are some that come with filters which also soften the water.

T.T. added 12 months ago

So much great information. I think a pitcher that softens water would be a great addition to my kitchen "toys"