🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Pressure cooker and dried beans & legume question.

I live in a hard water area. Would a pressure cooker make a difference in tenderizing or is it a water issue? I don't add salt when preparing so that's not the problem.

asked by T.T. over 1 year ago
2007-09-11e-s4

Cooking beans in very hard water is nigh on to impossible. With just slightly hard water, a pressure cooker may help, but it will still take a long time. My suggestion is to use bottled filtered water, but *not* distilled water. With filtered watrer she will be able to use your recipe and end up with the same great beans you make!

When you say bottled filtered water do you mean that it is void of minerals in general?

6-14-4_053

Most commercial bottled ,filtered water is basic city tap water. It's not hard.

2007-09-11e-s4

thirteenj is right. Most bottled drinking water is city water from wherever it was bottled that has been filtered one way or another. I would reiterate, though, not to use "distilled" water. Some people say distilled water gives the beans an "off" flavor.
On the other hand, some people have hadluck adding baking soda to the water, between 1 teaspoon and 1 Tablespoon for the whole pot, depending on the hardness of the water. I've never tried that trick, though.

Thanks for the feed back folks! I've really missed having a good pot of bean and such.
I will try bottled water.

Flower-bee

It might be helpful to get a pitcher with built-in replaceable filter--that way you won't have to worry about recycling the plastic bottles. Or a faucet filter would be of help as well. The basic ones only neutralize chlorine but there are some that come with filters which also soften the water.

So much great information. I think a pitcher that softens water would be a great addition to my kitchen "toys"