🔎

A question about a recipe: Strawberry Balsamic and Olive Oil Breakfast Cake

I have a question about the recipe "Strawberry Balsamic and Olive Oil Breakfast Cake" from indieculinary. Golden Balsamic Vinegar? What is this? Can I use regular balsamic vinegar?

V_cake
Me_in_munich_with_fish
petitbleu added 11 months ago
Voted the Best Answer!

I'm assuming golden balsamic is the same as white balsamic, which you can find at many of those little olive oil shops sprouting up all over the place. I'm going to venture to say that yes, you can use regular balsamic. The flavor (and color) will be a little different, but not at all in a bad way.

Image

I found golden balsamic vinegar in the vinegar section of my regular grocery store. I liked the cake a lot, but I actually think I might have preferred the taste of regular balsamic vinegar (You don't have to use the most expensive stuff)--it's a little sweeter.

PazzoNico added 11 months ago

The flavor difference is very slight. White balsamic differs in how it is made; a mixture of white grape must and white wine vinegar. It's also not cooked as much as regular balsamic so the grapes don't develop too much color. Because of this, regular balsamic is a *touch* sweeter and sometimes thicker in consistency. And another noticeable difference is the color. Balsamic will color everything it touches while white balsamic will remain neutral.
Short answer: Yes, I'm sure you can use regular if you mind the color.

PazzoNico added 11 months ago

***if you *don't* mind the color

My-haircut
indieculinary added 10 months ago

Hi-- I'm the recipe author. Golden and white balsamic can be used interchangeably. As others have mentioned above, the main difference if you choose to use standard balsamic is that the color of the cake will be affected. As far as the baking chemistry of the cake, though, it should turn out fine! -Michelle (indieculinary)

chez_mere added 10 months ago

Great, thanks for the info! Always good to have another bit of vinegar knowledge up my sleeve.