🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Strawberry Balsamic and Olive Oil Breakfast Cake

V_cake

I have a question about the recipe "Strawberry Balsamic and Olive Oil Breakfast Cake" from indieculinary. Golden Balsamic Vinegar? What is this? Can I use regular balsamic vinegar?

asked by chez_mere over 1 year ago

I found golden balsamic vinegar in the vinegar section of my regular grocery store. I liked the cake a lot, but I actually think I might have preferred the taste of regular balsamic vinegar (You don't have to use the most expensive stuff)--it's a little sweeter.

The flavor difference is very slight. White balsamic differs in how it is made; a mixture of white grape must and white wine vinegar. It's also not cooked as much as regular balsamic so the grapes don't develop too much color. Because of this, regular balsamic is a *touch* sweeter and sometimes thicker in consistency. And another noticeable difference is the color. Balsamic will color everything it touches while white balsamic will remain neutral.
Short answer: Yes, I'm sure you can use regular if you mind the color.

***if you *don't* mind the color

My-haircut

Hi-- I'm the recipe author. Golden and white balsamic can be used interchangeably. As others have mentioned above, the main difference if you choose to use standard balsamic is that the color of the cake will be affected. As far as the baking chemistry of the cake, though, it should turn out fine! -Michelle (indieculinary)

Great, thanks for the info! Always good to have another bit of vinegar knowledge up my sleeve.