A recipe calls for "golden balsamic vinegar" can I use " white " instead... No store carries it around here.

asked by rebeccajoan over 2 years ago
Gator_cake

I think so.

Gator_cake

I am assuming you mean white balsamic.

Munch2 If I were going to make a substitution, I would not recommend white vinegar. Go for traditional balsamic vinegar. I have no idea of what "Golden Balsamic" tastes like, but I guarantee it doesn't taste like white vinegar. You can find balsamic in any supermarket. Better still, go to any gourmet shop to find an array of vinegar. If you are going to take your cooking to the next level, you have to properly equip your kitchen. You also want to get familiar with Penzey Spices which are available online. The supermarket spices won't cut it in terms of potency.

Chef Carl - http://www.youtube.com...

Scan0004

I have something called "Italian Golden Balsamic Style Vinegar" which I picked up on impulse without reading the label. It turned out to be decolorized and sweetened grape juice and red wine vinegar, from Italy! Hardly balsamic, and the only gold is the profit of the sneaky producer and importer. Yes, there is white balsamic, and of course traditional red balsamic, but it could be that "golden" is nothing but fools-gold-food! So yes, use something real.
You might want to check this information on White Balsamic -- http://www.vigo-alessi...
From reading this, I am not sure that White Balsamic Vinegar is made by the same process as the original Balsamic, which is actually made starting with white grapes.

Waffle3

I *think* white balsamic is the same as golden. Golden balsamic is made from the same grapes as the traditional version but with a slightly different process and it's not aged nearly as long, both factors give it a lighter color and lighter flavor.

Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Substitute a good quality white _wine_ vinegar. (Not white vinegar - which should only be used for cleaning windows and poaching eggs).

Depending on the recipe you could consider apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar.

I disagree about subbing balsamic, as the colour may affect the outcome. Most balsamic vinegars (white or not) aren't worth the food colouring and corn syrup they're made with - to get a good one you need to spend $$$ and go to a specialty store.