🔔
🔎

Good burger cheese

What is a good burger cheese to use

asked by Nan over 1 year ago
Baci1

Gruyere
Muenster
Comte
Pepperjack

036

depends on the burger I think - cheddar, blue cheese, I am super fond of spring pecorino ... what ever cheese YOU like is a good cheese for a burger!

At the upper end of the cheese scale, a really good cheddar, stilton or Spanish valdeon.
Guilty pleasure category; Kraft Singles are a really good melting cheese. You are not going to get a big cheese spike in flavor but it works.

Gator_cake

I'm a huge blue cheese on burgers fan!! It's all melty and tangy, and deeeelicious.

3-bizcard

Love blue cheese on burgers!!

Blue cheese... make a big indent with your thumb, press in a hunk of blue cheese and mold the burger around it.

Farmer's_market

Blue cheese is my hands down favorite too. But we make guac burgers a lot in the summer (exactly what it sounds like) - for that, it's got to be cheddar.

Cheese curds for us. Squeaky quebec cheese curds.

Farmer's_market

Interesting. The cheese curds I've eaten don't melt (like Haloumi.) But my experience with them wasn't poutine in Quebec, but in Wisconsin where you eat them deep fried with a beer, usually in a bar (with the Badgers on TV.)

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

Jealous of the cheese curds. Miss poutine!

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

Agree with preference, I enjoy Land of Lakes White American sliced at the deli counter.

Never heard of deep fried curds! I love them smothered over a burger, they partially melt and still have a really nice texture. Poutine is amazing, if you haven't tried it & have access to curds - do give it a go!

Farmer's_market

Yes, I've had the pleasure of Poutine, in Montreal actually. But deep fried are pretty ubiquitous in WI - bar food, like deep fried mozzarella or zucchini, but squeakier. They soften up in the middle, but never get totally melty.

Junechamp

Really good blue cheese is my favorite for burgers, unless I've got Comte, or Humboldt Fog. the best burger cheese is the one YOU like best. And actually, my favorite burgers are cheeseless!

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

I've been looking for fresh cheese curds for years in CT. I survive however with a decent indulgence of home made fries with brown gravy or back in NY at the diner.. Grew up with it and once I tasted all the fun variations in Montreal and Quebec, I was so happy!

Farmer's_market

You can buy them at Murray's, if you get into the city or online: http://www.murrayscheese... But it also occurs to me that since there's a lot of cheese made in NY state (cheddar, etc.) like WI, there ought to be some local ones too (?) Sorry so off topic....hooray for cheeseburgers!

Bigpan

One word answer - Stilton.
Put a chunk inside the patties and let it melt in.

Me_in_munich_with_fish

I love how many responses there are to this question--it really struck a chord! We love blue cheese--the stronger the better--good cheddar, or gruyere on burgers.

2007-09-11e-s4

Depends on what else you are going to put on or near the burger. Every cheese listed thus far is a good one to use. Here in New Mexico, though, it's good ol' American cheese on our classic green chile cheeseburgers!