🔎

• 5

• 807

• See other questions tagged:
    • cooking

What is a good substitute for oyster sauce?

Head_shot
Muttersome added 10 months ago

Hoisin sauce, if you have it, loosened with a bit of water. Depending on the recipe, maybe even BBQ sauce or ketchup with a dash of worcestershire in it!

nutcakes added 10 months ago

What are you making and what is the list of ingredients in the dish/sauce? Oyster sauce is a pretty dominant flavor and I don't really see any real substitute, so in this case you may be better off moving along to another dish. If shellfish allergy is the issue, there is a commercial product made of mushrooms that is called vegetarian oyster sauce that will fit the flavor and consistency profile better than, say, a dash of Worcestershire sauce with a little sugar for sweetness.

saraxbeth added 10 months ago

Spicy basil chicken- no shellfish allergy ☺
2 tablespoons chili oil
2 cloves garlic
3 hot chile peppers
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into bite-size pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
5 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 cup fresh mushrooms
1 cup chopped onions
1 bunch fresh basil leaves

nutcakes added 10 months ago

Me, I'd wait till I had a chance to get some oyster sauce. That's quite a large amount in this recipe, and it is the only liquid ingredient. Eating pure oyster sauce doesn't sound very appealing, honestly. I've used it mostly when there are other ingredients (like chicken stock and soy sauce) to loosen and temper it. I'd be more tempted to go for a recipe like this:
http://www.food.com/recipe...

Bill F added 10 months ago

Fish sauce is a good sub