🔔
🔎

How to season mortar and pestle?

My daughter game me a mortar and pestle as a gift. It weighs about 15 pounds and is granite (I think). The instructions say use salt and/or white rice to season it - rinsing in water until the water comes clear - over a period of several days. When I googled, the instructions were varied and included using spices and garlic. Would appreciate any advice on this. Love this gift and want to make sure I season it correctly. :)

asked by SKK over 1 year ago
Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I've never heard of seasoning a granite mortar & pestle! (This is not to say it shouldn't/couldn't be done...) I got a large granite one 10+ years ago and have ground up a variety of herbs, spices, garlic, pastes, etc in it. It's stayed in great shape for me.

Is it a green one...granite with some bits of mill dust in the bowl?

I've had a few...never used the rice trick...but just salt and oil and rinsing not even thinking it was 'seasoning' just get getting out some milling dust.

Buddhacat

Thanks, petitbleu. Yes it must be a molcajete. I have been using rice and kosher salt. It is taking a while to get the grit out. I will also use some whole cumin seed, because one article said to do that, just for the fun of it.

My vineyard manager made me a molcajete which is made out of volcanic rock. I used the rice method.

08270410avatar_messbrasil

Granite is a igneous(volcanic)rock,and rice and salt sound right.As for cleaning,my great-grandmother had a tip:coke.(Coca-cola,not coke leaves...LOL),but that was for polished marble and granite.Not sure if it works on rough material.