🔎

How to season mortar and pestle?

My daughter game me a mortar and pestle as a gift. It weighs about 15 pounds and is granite (I think). The instructions say use salt and/or white rice to season it - rinsing in water until the water comes clear - over a period of several days. When I googled, the instructions were varied and included using spices and garlic. Would appreciate any advice on this. Love this gift and want to make sure I season it correctly. :)

Buddhacat
Sarah_chef

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I've never heard of seasoning a granite mortar & pestle! (This is not to say it shouldn't/couldn't be done...) I got a large granite one 10+ years ago and have ground up a variety of herbs, spices, garlic, pastes, etc in it. It's stayed in great shape for me.

Me_in_munich_with_fish
petitbleu added 10 months ago
Voted the Best Answer!

I think you probably have a molcajete--we have one, too. It is recommended that you season it, because they are rough and some of the grit can come off in your food. We used rice--pound a small handful of rice in it, grinding it into all the surfaces inside the bowl. Some grit will come off. Keep doing this until the powdered rice is pure white--no grey bits of stone. Rinse it out and you're good to go.

Sam1148 added 10 months ago

Is it a green one...granite with some bits of mill dust in the bowl?

I've had a few...never used the rice trick...but just salt and oil and rinsing not even thinking it was 'seasoning' just get getting out some milling dust.

Buddhacat
SKK added 10 months ago

Thanks, petitbleu. Yes it must be a molcajete. I have been using rice and kosher salt. It is taking a while to get the grit out. I will also use some whole cumin seed, because one article said to do that, just for the fun of it.

dymnyno added 10 months ago

My vineyard manager made me a molcajete which is made out of volcanic rock. I used the rice method.

08270410avatar_messbrasil
mensaque added 10 months ago

Granite is a igneous(volcanic)rock,and rice and salt sound right.As for cleaning,my great-grandmother had a tip:coke.(Coca-cola,not coke leaves...LOL),but that was for polished marble and granite.Not sure if it works on rough material.