🔎

I grew up cooking with gooseberries in Ireland. Has anyone managed to buy them here in the States?

Anyone have any resources for gooseberries?
Thank You

Rachel_and_martha
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Sorry, by mistake I deleted the answer from Monita, one of our members. She said: I've seen them at Manhattan Fruit in Chelsea Market in NYC. Online you can check sidwainer.com

Rachel_and_martha
Rachel Gaffney added 9 months ago

Thank you I will check them out

Chris_in_oslo

You don't say where you are, but yes, I've seen them occasionally in both the East and the West. I've also grown them. They were pretty problem-free.

Rachel_and_martha
Rachel Gaffney added 9 months ago

Thank you. I live in Dallas,so not something I can get here. Looking for resource online to see if I can get them shipped.

Dsc00859_2
creamtea added 9 months ago

I've seen them at farmer's markets in NYC; possibly also at Whole Foods Market.

9d9h5fv
Alana Barton added 9 months ago

I have seen them at farmers markets and pick your own fruit farms.

Me_in_munich_with_fish
petitbleu added 9 months ago

They're all over the place in the Pacific NW. I've been able to find them at farmer's markets and some supermarkets. However, when I lived in the South, I had never seen a gooseberry, so it might make a big difference where you are.

Rachel_and_martha
Rachel Gaffney added 9 months ago

Yes...they really are a fruit that loves a temperate climate, that's why I'm looking for an online resource... Lucky you

Trena added 9 months ago

Wild Harvest ships gooseberries, here's the link http://www.nwwildfoods...

Rachel_and_martha
Rachel Gaffney added 9 months ago

Oh my gosh... Thank you thank thank thank you! I'm so happy and grateful to you.

jeinde added 9 months ago

You might want to try growing them. Miller Nursery in Canaandaigua NY sells them and per their catalogue they are OK in your zone 8. I grow them in hot and humid DE with no problem. Just harvested the last of my crop.

Rachel_and_martha
Rachel Gaffney added 9 months ago

Thank you so very much. I really appreciate this a lot. I am doing this for sentimental reasons ! Helps when I get a little homesick from time to time!

Rachel_and_martha
Rachel Gaffney added 9 months ago

Thanks a million. I'm going to try.

Photo(7)

Rebecca is a recipe tester for Food52.

i just bought a pint at the greenmarket in nyc! thinking hard about what to do with them... what did you usually do with them in ireland? good luck finding!

Rachel_and_martha
Rachel Gaffney added 9 months ago

Oh gosh, where do I begin ! My grandaunt used to grow them and I used to pick and eat them. Horrible raw ! Bitter. I made gooseberry crumble, gooseberry tart, gooseberry jam, gooseberry & elderflower preserve, gooseberry ice cream and my favorite... Gooseberry Fool. I am getting some sent to make jams and some of the above ! Nice to meet you.

Photo(7)

Rebecca is a recipe tester for Food52.

FYI bought more at another greenmarket today... for reference, nyc price is ~$8/quart

Photo(7)

Rebecca is a recipe tester for Food52.

just saw your response!! sorry i missed it before i responded again.... those sound fantastic. i think i will try the gooseberry and elderflower preserve. thanks!

I love jeinde's suggestion to grow your own. Where I lived in Northern California they grew wild and abundantly. Friends would harvest them from surrounding low-lying areas verging upon coniferous forests and make jam from them.

Pegeen added 9 months ago

If it's hard to source gooseberries locally or online, fresh currants are often a good substitute, more available.

Scan0004
susan g added 9 months ago

In Dallas, if you have a Whole Foods, ask the produce department if they could order some for you -- you'd probably have to get a flat (like other berries are shipped in). ...Or other grocery or produce stores might help.

ATL added 9 months ago

They also grow in the Midwest but except for people's gardens, I've only seen them at farmer's markets. A regional favorite in rural areas is gooseberry pie. Be prepared to remove lots and lots of little prickly things.

Me

Kenzi is the Associate Editor of Food52.

Thought I would throw this into the mix: http://food52.com/blog...

Also, we're seeing them at farmers markets in New York City now!