🔎

Lower carb substitute for rice in Julia child's tian de courgettes?

I would love to make this with the giant zucchini taking over my garden. I hate to mess with tradition (and perfection) but the person I will cook for doesn't eat white rice because of the high carbs (diabetes). Brown rice is better, but iffy. I might get away with quinoa, but would that work? Would I need to modify the recipe? Still cook the quinoa before adding it? Any ideas?

036

Hmm - ok so the rice is set to absorb the liquid. It is 1/2 c rice so you can count on 1 c absorption. I think quinoa is the same ratio - 2-1 liquid to quinoa so I think it should be fine - I would treat it similarly, rinse well and then par boil for 5 min. I think your main consideration is making sure whatever you use has the same absorption abilities and cook time as the rice - which also means that brown rice would mean cooking the dish much longer.

Chris_in_oslo

There are a lot of tian recipes that do not include rice, so you might cast about for another. A lot of them do include bread crumbs, but they are on top, and could be omitted if you weren't happy with any healthier-carb substitutes.