food52hotline help! Can I replace mustard sees with celery sees when making pickles?

asked by @theresabearr 10 months ago
Photo(7)
Rebecca Vitale

Rebecca is a Recipe Tester for Food52

I would try fennel/anise/carraway, more along those lines. Mustard seeds would be good in addition, too! Perhaps crushed gently.

Photo(7)
Rebecca Vitale

Rebecca is a Recipe Tester for Food52

My mistake! Read it the other way around.

P1291120

Yes, you can. You will have a slightly different flavor than if you used the celery (Rebecca above has good ideas for alternatives closer to the celery seed flavor) but you'll be fine and your pickles will be tasty.

Dsc_0028

It sounds to me like anonymous wants to use celery seeds instead of mustard seeds, not the other way 'round.

That's how I read the question as well. But a pickle is a pickle. The seeds you use will alter the flavor but there really any hard core rules as to herbs and spices. It's what tastes good to you.

Pickled Mustard seeds themselves are being seen more and more as a condiment (Tom Colicchio of Wichcraft offers on many sandwiches)
Recipe:
http://chubbyvegetarian...