🔎

• 2

• 596

A question about a recipe: Creamy Spring Turnip Soup With Wilted Radish Greens And Bacon

I have a question about the recipe "Creamy Spring Turnip Soup With Wilted Radish Greens And Bacon" from sdebrango. Why does the recipe call for peeling the turnips? I left mine unpeeled to add color and assuming alot of the nutrients are in the colorful skin.

Food52_06-05-12-2982
Mateo added 6 months ago

Hahahaha! Just realized I used radishes instead of turnips! Alternatively why would one peel the turnips? I prefer to cook even roots and such with the skin, being the skin commonly is rich in nutrients. I buy organic only when it comes to veggies that are grown underground as many, such as potatoes, tend to retain residual chemicals from pesticides and the like.

Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

Most people peel the turnips because they find the peel gritty but if scrubbed properly there's no reason you have to peel them. In fact, baby turnips are rarely peeled