🔎

Andrea_nguyen-very-sml-72dpi

Andrea is cooking teacher, food writer, contributing editor at SAVEUR, and a cookbook author; her latest book is Asian Tofu.

Are you talking like a Cantonese or Peking duck? No stuffing is needed either way! Of course, that may not be the answer that'll please your hubby. No sticky rice dressing for him, eh? What a shame. To deal with this sticky situation, make a cornbread stuffing to offer nice color and textural contrast to your luscious duck. However, skew it toward Asia with shiitake mushroom, Chinese sweet sausage, ginger, garlic, and green onion. Add diced carrot and parsnip (my sub for gobo root) for fall color.

Attack the project this way: Make the cornbread on the savory, dry side; Marie Calenders-like cornbread won't work well. Cube and toast it to dry it out a tad.

Saute off the other ingredients, seasoning them with Chinese five spice, white pepper, or fennel and clove. Moisten with some liquid from soaking the mushroom, a touch of soy sauce and a splash of Shaoxing rice wine for holiday cheer. Then mix it all up in a bowl, and add salt and pepper to taste. If you need moisture, add chicken broth. Bake it in a casserole dish under foil till hot, then uncover to bake until crusty.

Hope this helps. Do let us know what you end up doing! Good luck.

dymnyno added 5 months ago

For duck which is very fatty, I think you want to make dressing, not stuffing.

Bigpan
bigpan added 5 months ago

I agree with Andrea - you don't want to stuff the duck; but, you can still serve a "stuffing" on the side. If wanting a non-Asian bread stuffing I would make it fruit heavy...maybe cranberries, raisin and sour cherries.
But I would consider researching and doing a Peking style duck - complete with crepes (or thin Asian pancakes), hoisin sauce, scallions, slices of skin to garnish. Yum. Serve with a few courses of Asian vegetables and rice. Easier to do than you think, but a lot of prep (chopping veg) that can be done ahead of time.

dymnyno added 5 months ago

Isn't a "stuffing" inside the bird and a "dressing " cooked outside?

Andrea_nguyen-very-sml-72dpi

Great idea, BigPan! Here's a Peking Duck recipe I wrote for the Los Angeles Times. The story and recipes are for the entire shebang -- a glorious Peking duck meal. No dressing/stuffing is needed. <a href="http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/29/food/la-fo-pekingduck-20100729" target="_blank">http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/29/food/la-fo-pekingduck-20100729</a>

Andrea_nguyen-very-sml-72dpi

Now that didn't link properly, folks, but you can copy/paste the URL.

@dymnyno -- Yes, a dressing can be a stuffing but not the other way around. Thanks for pointing out the technical nuance. I'm glad I'm not alone. ;-)

kareniw added 5 months ago

I am so flattered you answered my question, Andrea! Thanks! So yes, I wanted to do a fusion style Thanksgiving with Peking duck and crepes, but have traditional sides too. As a dressing I agree with the fruit-heavy idea, and I came upon a wild rice, apple & dried cranberry stuffing which does include bread: http://www.epicurious.com.... It will also be nice for veggie eaters in the group.

Andrea_nguyen-very-sml-72dpi

Terrific. Glad that you've got a game plan in place. Sounds like your husband will get stuffing satisfaction and you'll have your duck! Happy Thanksgiving.