THE SMARTER, SUPER STURDY ICE TRAYS YOU'RE LOVING. SHOP NOW »
🔕 🔔

Oil instead of butter for oatmeal cookies?

A friend does not want to use butter or margarine. She wants the cookies to be parve and low-chol. Can she use oil?

Someone else asked about substituting oil for butter when making Linzer cookies. I’ll give the same answer to your question as I gave to the first question. Sure, you can make the substitution, but don’t expect the cookies to taste particularly good. Butter adds lots of flavor that oil will not. Oil will also change the texture. Instead of substituting an oil with little or no flavor, why not find a recipe for a cookie that doesn’t call for butter in the first place? Biscotti are a start--most Italian recipes for biscotti (or cantucci) don’t use butter. There are plenty of other cookie recipes from around the Mediterranean that don’t use butter either, so there are many good choices. I understand the parve issue, but I suspect the cholesterol concern is off-target. You might want to check out this article in the NY Times today about whole organic milk: http://www.nytimes.com...

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Thanks for your answer, Maedl, but I was asking on behalf of a friend who really won't care that much about perfect flavor or an authentic Italian cookie. She would be unlikely to go to the trouble of double-baking biscotti. She just wanted to make the cookie recipe from the lid of the Quaker oatmeal box--as long as the cookie dough hangs together, she's happy. She did try subbing oil and it was fine for her needs. I on the other hand want all the butter cream and sugar I can get ;)

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

I have never had trouble using oil as a sub for butter with this ratio: 1/3 cup oil for each 1/2 cup butter.
Yes the flavor and texture will be different but sometimes the change in texture is a desirable one (softer, less crunchy) and it is a good trick to know for various reasons...

Thank you Sadassa; I agree it is useful to sometimes be able to sub some or all of the fat. I sometimes like the tenderer crumb that oil bring to a cake, for example.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

Agree with Sadassa -- I've done it a number of times. FWIW: my favorite substitute is Safflower oil as it is very "clean" and won't leave a bit of the underlying flavor.

Thank you SeaJambon. Agree about Safflower oil. I have recently switched from canola which has a "fishy" taste.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

sexyLAMBCHOPx is a trusted home cook.

Hi creamtea, this link from California Oil popped in my email today with an article about replacing butter with oil. If you read it also features a conversion table. http://consumers.californiaoliveranch...