🔔
🔎

Is it possible to substitute powdered pectin for liquid pectin? Can you interchange them if you add them at different points in the recipe?
If so what is the correct conversion?

asked by Gidget about 4 years ago
Gator_cake

1 Tbsp liquid pectin = 2 tsp powdered pectin.
I found this at homesteadingtoday.com:
How To Convert Powdered Pectin To Liquid Pectin
When you cannot find liquid pectin it is useful to know how to turn the powdered form into liquid. Mix 1 package powdered pectin in 1/2 cup water and boil for 1 minute. Pour into a measuring cup and add enough water to make 1 cup. Use as you would liquid pectin.

Thank you so much. Question, I have a tub of powdered pectin. What would the measurement of 1 package usually be?
Or do I use 2tsp or whatever my conversion would be and use the same amount of water?
Sorry for the confusion.

Gator_cake

Certo pectin typically comes in a 6 fluid ounce pouch. 1 oz = 2 Tbsp = 4 tsp powdered.

Snowflake_300h

Sometimes there are minor differences in the set. I find that my ideal set comes from no sugar powdered pectin. Food in Jars is a great resource: http://www.foodinjars.com...

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I think though that it depends a lot of what kind of powdered pectin you are talking about. Pomona, which has a two-ingredient system, with a different way of using it, would be handled differently. Also, there's a variety of different kinds of powdered pectin (some permitting use of less sugar, etc.). What brand is the powder that you have there? ;o)

AntoniaJames, I would love to tell you the brand, but I bought it in bulk packaging from a baking supply house and it is only labeled PECTIN. Oh well.

I will look at the food in jars site. Thank you Always040

And Hardlikearmour, thank you again for the helpful measurements!

My recipe calls for 2 - 3oz Pouches of liquid pectin. I have Ball Instant Pectin - Hardlikarmour doesn't state how many ozs of dry pectin is above. Your help is gratly appreciated! Thank you!

Chile_love